Student Life FAQ

  1. How much does it cost to live on campus?
  2. How can I choose a roommate?
  3. How do I request special housing accommodations?
  4. Can I build a loft?
  5. What type of bed is in the residence halls?
  6. Do I have a curfew?
  7. Where can I smoke?
  8. Can I have pets?
  9. Can I stay in the residence halls during breaks or vacations?
  10. Where can I study or have access to a computer?
  11. Am I required to be on the meal plan?
  12. Can I bring a car?
  13. Requirements for Living Off-Campus

How much does it cost to live on campus?



Standard Double with Roommate (available in Greensboro, West, and Hill): $5,836 per semester

Deluxe Double with Roommate (available in Hill): $6,361 per semester

Private Room* (available in Greensboro, West, and Hill): $8,463 per semester

*Must be approved through Financial Aid

How can I choose a roommate?

As a new incoming student, you will need to submit your Housing/Commuter App on your Pride Page, and then complete the roommate questionnaire at PAWS Orientation. Once you have selected your roommate or one has been assigned to you, you will be assigned a room and will receive a confirmation email. You will receive your official housing assignment via your Greensboro College email address. The Office of Residence Life will make every possible consideration in pairing roommates based on information contained in your housing application. The assignment process is extremely time consuming and will be completed as soon as possible, usually by the end of July.

How do I request special housing accommodations?

Students with a documented disability that may require housing accommodations should contact the Office of Academic Accessibility.

Can I build a loft?

Only residents living in Greensboro and West may choose to build a loft in their rooms. Lofts must be built by individual students. The college does not provide prefab, loft “kits.” It is recommended that you build a loft to fit your specific room and not to purchase a prefab kit as room dimensions are not universal. Please Note: All furniture in the resident rooms is the responsibility of the assigned residents. Residents may not remove any items supplied by the college and must store bed frames in their rooms if they choose to construct a loft.

Loft Application Form

For more information, please contact Residence Life at ext. 5625.

What type of bed is in the residence halls?

All rooms in Hill Hall and West Hall have two twin XL size beds with twin XL-size mattresses. Second and third floor rooms in Greensboro Hall have twin mattresses. Residents need to bring their own appropriately-sized sheets for their bed.

Do I have a curfew?

The residence halls are accessible to residents 24 hours a day through an automated access system. Your Pride Card provides access to your residence hall by scanning it at door entrances to the residence halls. The replacement cost for a lost Pride Card is $50. Residents can only access the building in which they live. Visitors to other buildings or non-residential visitors must be escorted by their hosts at all times. Residents may have a guest in the Residence Halls from 10 a.m. to midnight Monday-Thursday. Guests are permitted at any time from Friday at 10 a.m. through Sunday at midnight. Visitation in the rooms of members of the opposite gender is allowed only during visitation hours. Visitors must be out of the residence halls by the time visitation ends.

Where can I smoke?

Greensboro College is a tobacco-free campus. Greensboro College is committed to providing its students and employees a safe and healthy environment. Because of this commitment, the college will provide a tobacco-free campus for its students, staff, faculty and visitors. In addition, Greensboro College will provide its constituents with information regarding tobacco cessation and nicotine replacement therapy. No tobacco products will be permitted on campus at any time.

Can I have pets?

No pets are allowed on campus except for licensed service animals. Service or assistance animals are welcome within the parameters of the college’s policy for such animals.

Can I stay in the residence halls during breaks or vacations?

The college does not provide on-campus housing during Thanksgiving, semester break, and spring break. Breaks and hall closings are listed in the Pride Guide and at the top of this webpage, and residents are responsible for being aware of these breaks and making alternative living arrangements during these times.

Where can I study or have access to a computer?

There are study lounges in each residence hall. Computer labs are available in the James Addison Jones Library and in the Cowan Humanities Building. If a student wishes to bring their own computer, each residence hall room has two computer ports with free access to the Internet through the school’s server. All residence halls also have wireless internet access. Wireless routers are not allowed in the residence halls. Students may have wireless printers, but they must turn off the wireless function.

Am I required to be on the meal plan?

Yes. All residential students are required to be on the meal plan. The residential meal plan is unlimited. Students have access to the all-you-care-to-eat cafeteria any time it is open. Regular hours are: M-F: Breakfast 7:30-9:30 a.m.; lunch 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.; dinner 5-7:30 p.m. Sat-Sun: Brunch: 11 a.m.-2 p.m.; dinner: 5-7 p.m. For more information on dining at Greensboro College please visit the Dining Services page.

Can I bring a car?

Under the Greensboro College parking regulations, all students, including first-year students, are permitted to have cars on campus, as long as an official College parking decal is purchased. Parking areas are designated for commuter students, residential students, and faculty/staff. Parking permits can be purchased through Student Accounts at Greensboro College.

Requirements for Living Off-Campus

All Greensboro College students are required to live on campus until they have earned 60 credits. All students with fewer than 60 earned credits will be charged for room and board automatically. 

Exceptions to this policy will be granted based on the circumstances listed below; however, it is the student’s responsibility to fill out a housing waiver form at the office of Residence Life.

Waivers are due no later than April 15 for the following fall semester and Dec. 1 for the following spring semester. If a spring waiver is granted, it will supersede the original, nine-month housing contract signed in the fall.

Housing waivers are granted to:

  1. Students who commute from their permanent home address within a 50-mile radius of campus.
  2. Students who have earned 60 academic credits.
  3. Students who are married.
  4. Students who are 21 years of age.
    • A student must be 21 prior to Oct. 1 to be exempt from campus housing for the fall semester.
    • A student must be 21 prior to Feb. 1 to be exempt from campus housing for the spring semester.

Housing Release Request

Residence Verification Form

Joshua Fitzgerald photo

“I loved the GC Honors program and Greensboro College. I felt safe and a sense of genuine belonging at the college. I worked closely with my thesis advisor and professors who helped inspire me to define my path and passion of interest. That path has led me to my doctoral studies in Engineering Mechanics.”

- Joshua Fitzgerald, Class of ’19, Mathematics Major

Joshua currently studies astrodynamics at Virginia Tech University and is an Engineering Mechanics Ph.D. Candidate.