Health Privacy Notice
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
The staff of Greensboro College Student Health Center (GCSHC) are legally required to protect the privacy of your health information and to abide by the requirements stated in the document. This Notice of Privacy Practices describes our legal duty to protect the privacy of your health information and the policies and procedures this office has in place to do so.
Our office is required to prominently post the most current notice at all times. A copy of the current Notice of Privacy Practices for GCSHC will be given to each patient to read on their first visit. You will be asked to sign an acknowledgment that you read a copy. A copy of this notice will be provided to you upon request.
If you need additional information about anything contained in this notice, please contact the GCSHC director by calling 272-7102 ext. 277. We encourage you to ask questions about anything you do not understand.
GCSHC reserves the right to change its Notice of Privacy Practices without advance notice to you and apply the revised Notice of Privacy Practices to your health information. Any changes that are made will be highlighted on the most current Notice of Privacy Practices that is posted in our office so that they are easily recognized. If changes are made to this Notice of Privacy Practices, you will be provided with a revised copy on your first visit following the revision.
Protected health information may be used by Health Center staff and disclosed to other Health Center staff in your treatment and Health Center operations including, but not limited to record maintenance and monitoring your health status. Such information also may be:
- Used to secure payment for services rendered or products provided by the Health Center.
- Making appointments here in the health center as well as providing health information as needed for scheduling appointments for diagnostic tests, surgery, admission, consultations, home health, and referrals to outside agencies.
- Exchange between the Health Center and the Training room staff in the treatment of athletes.
- Verifying your benefits and eligibility with your insurance company, and obtaining authorization as required.
- Providing health information to your insurance company as requested for their administrative requirements.
- Calling in prescriptions to your pharmacy.
- Used to confirm your visit to the Health Center on a given date upon inquiry by a faculty member; no other information will be given in response to such inquiries by faculty.
After you have been given the opportunity to agree or object, your health information may be used and disclosed without your authorization in the following circumstances. (If you are not present or the opportunity for you to agree or object cannot be provided, we may decide whether the disclosure is in your best interest on professional judgment.)
- To a family member, or other person identified by you, or the Dean of Students, if that person’s involvement is deemed necessary in your care.
- To a family member or other person responsible for your care regarding your location, general condition or death
- To a public or private organization authorized by law to assist in disaster relief efforts as required by law.
Your health information may be used and disclosed without your authorization in circumstances as required by law (Example: reporting certain communicable diseases to the NC Dept. of Health and Human Services or responding to a lawfully issued court order).
- To protect the confidentiality of your written medical information, these directives are followed:
- You must complete the “Authorization to Release Medical Information” before copies will be released to you or a third party.
- FAXing medical information other than immunizations will be done ONLY in situations of medical urgency.
- The use of e-mail in sharing your medical information is limited to general information and clarification about your medial care.