Types of Aid Available

Making Your Education More Accessible and Affordable

The Office of Student Financial Services uses the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine students’ eligibility for multiple types of financial aid. While you are not required to file a FAFSA to receive aid, we recommend taking the time to complete the application to maximize your financial aid offer. Additionally, many outside scholarships require a student to file a FAFSA before submitting a scholarship application.


We offer a number of scholarships to help make your education more affordable. At Greensboro College, you can earn the following scholarships: 

“Stay Local” Scholarship

We feel especially connected and committed to our students who are from our community. That’s why we’ve created the new “Stay Local” Scholarship, just for students from our home state of North Carolina. Click here to learn more.

Merit Scholarships

Greensboro College recognizes your academic achievements and outstanding talents and offers merit scholarships as a part of the admissions process. Take a look at our merit scholarships you may qualify for. 

North Carolina Scholarship

The North Carolina Need Based Scholarship is a state funded scholarship that is awarded based on your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), as determined by your FAFSA.

shift_ed Scholarship

If you’re working on your first bachelor’s degree and have graduated from a Guilford County Public School or other eligible high schools from other shift_ed Education Chapters, you may qualify for this scholarship. Click here to register.

Outside Scholarships

Any scholarship not awarded by the government or Greensboro College is considered an outside scholarship. We recommend applying for every outside scholarship you can find. We have listed a few resources below to help you locate outside scholarships. 


Your eligibility for grants is based on your financial need as determined by your FAFSA. The following grants are common at Greensboro College:

Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based grant awarded to undergraduate students working on their first bachelor’s degree. You must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) to receive the full amount listed on your financial aid offer.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a need-based grant awarded to undergraduate students who are enrolled in a first bachelor’s degree program and are eligible for a Pell grant. First consideration is given to the recipients of the Federal Pell Grant who demonstrate the most financial need.

Federal & Private Loans

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is offered to you if you are an undergraduate student with a financial need as determined by the FAFSA. For the Department of Education to pay interest on these loans, you must be enrolled at least part-time.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is offered to eligible undergraduate and graduate students that have filed a FAFSA. The student is responsible for paying the amount borrowed, plus interest, that accrues on these loans. Payments are not required during enrollment, but if the interest is not paid, it will accrue and be capitalized.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents is a federal loan that parents can apply for. If approved, the loan may be used to cover the remaining balance. If not approved, the student may be eligible to borrow additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds. For additional information about the PLUS Loan, or to apply, visit StudentAid.gov.

Private Student/Parent Loans

Private lenders and banks offer private educational loans to qualifying students and parents. In most cases, you and a parent will need a creditworthy co-signer. All terms and conditions are set by the bank or lending institution and you can find applications for these loans online. Our office offers a Loan Comparison Tool to compare lenders.

Federal Work Study

Work Study is a federally funded work program with limited positions that allows our students to work on campus and for select off-campus partners. Unlike most financial aid, work study does not go directly toward covering a student’s tuition. Work study students find a job within the program and receive a paycheck monthly for their hours worked.

Joshua Fitzgerald photo

“I loved the GC Honors program and Greensboro College. I felt safe and a sense of genuine belonging at the college. I worked closely with my thesis advisor and professors who helped inspire me to define my path and passion of interest. That path has led me to my doctoral studies in Engineering Mechanics.”

- Joshua Fitzgerald, Class of ’19, Mathematics Major

Joshua currently studies astrodynamics at Virginia Tech University and is an Engineering Mechanics Ph.D. Candidate.