Types of Aid Available

The Office of Student Financial Services uses the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine students’ eligibility for multiple types of financial aid. While you are not required to file a FAFSA to receive aid, we recommend taking the time to complete the application to maximize your financial aid offer. Additionally, many outside scholarships require a student to file a FAFSA before submitting a scholarship application.

Institutional Merit Based Scholarships

Institutional Merit Based scholarships are determined by a student’s academic record and accomplishments and are offered to first-time freshmen and transfer students.

Institutional Need Based Scholarships/Grants

Your eligibility for Institutional Need Based Scholarships is based on your financial need as determined by your FAFSA.

Federal Grants

  • Pell Grant

    The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based grant awarded to undergraduate students working on their first bachelor’s degree. You must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) in order to receive the full amount listed on your financial aid offer.

  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

    The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a need-based grant awarded to undergraduate students who are enrolled in a first bachelor’s degree program and are eligible for a Pell grant. First consideration is given to the recipients of the Federal Pell Grant who demonstrate the most financial need.

North Carolina Need Based Scholarship

The North Carolina Need Based Scholarship is a state funded scholarship that is awarded based on your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by your FAFSA.

Say Yes to Education Scholarship

Scholarships are available to undergraduate students working on their first bachelor’s degree that graduated from a Guilford County Public School or eligible high schools from other Say Yes to Education Chapters. Eligibility is determined by Say Yes to Education. Click here to register.

“Stay Local” Scholarship

Investing in brilliance, right in our own backyard.

At Greensboro College, we believe every student should have access to a high-quality, private college education that empowers them to define their path in life. We feel especially committed to those right here in our own community. That’s why we’ve created the new “Stay Local” Scholarship, just for students from our home state of North Carolina. After all, nurturing bright minds in our own backyard builds a better future for all of us. Click here to learn more.

Outside Scholarships

Any scholarship not awarded by the government or Greensboro College is considered an outside scholarship. We recommend applying for every outside scholarship you can find. We have listed a few resources below to help you locate outside scholarships.

Don’t forget! You should not have to pay to apply for any scholarship!

Federal & Private Loans

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

    The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is offered to undergraduate students with financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The Department of Education pays the interest on these loans while a student is enrolled at least half-time.

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

    The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is offered to eligible undergraduate and graduate students that have filed a FAFSA. The student is responsible for paying the amount borrowed plus interest that accrues on these loans. Payments are not required during enrollment but if the interest is not paid, it will accrue and be capitalized.

  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents

    The Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents is a federal loan that parents can apply for. If approved, the loan may be used to cover the remaining balance. If not approved, the student may be eligible to borrow additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds.

    For additional information about the PLUS Loan, or to apply, visit StudentAid.gov.

  • Private Student/Parent Loans

    Private lenders and banks offer private educational loans to qualifying students and parents. In most cases, the student or parent will need a creditworthy co-signer. All terms and conditions are set by the bank or lending institution and you can find applications for these loans online. Our office offers a Loan Comparison Tool to compare lenders.

Federal Work Study

Work Study is a federally funded work program with limited positions that allows students to work on campus and for select off-campus partners. Unlike most financial aid, work study does not go directly toward covering a student’s tuition. Work study students find a job within the program and receive a paycheck monthly for their hours worked.