English (B.A.) Major
B.A. in English
Do you love to read? Have you ever wondered what it’s like to craft stories and publish books? Our B.A. in English program incorporates reading, writing, and analyzing literature. Students will explore a wide range of English topics, including literary periods, linguistics, critical theory, and famous works and authors. If you’re interested in strengthening your love of literature, preparing for a possible writing career or gaining English skills for graduate school, then this program is for you.
Why Choose This Degree?
A B.A. in English allows you to:
- Explore how culture and identity influence each other
- Discuss the fascinating characters and life-changing ideas found in great works of literature
- Become a more powerful speaker and writer as you keep practicing your writing and speaking skills, which are in high demand among employers
- Go pre-law with an English major
- Develop analytical and critical thinking skills that form the basis of graduate school coursework
- Prepare you for a flexible career path in various industries
Why Earn it at Greensboro College?
At Greensboro College, earning a B.A. in English means you’ll have unique opportunities to:
- Discuss world-changing literature in dynamic learning environments
- Be mentored by our faculty, who are truly invested in your growth over time, including after you graduate
- Become immersed in a close-knit, student-centered department of inspired scholars. We listen to the wants and needs of our students!
- Write for our award-winning and the nationally recognized student newspaper, The Collegian, and the student literary arts magazine, The Lyre (include URL to the new page created for publications)
What Can I Do After Graduation?
With your B.A. in English, you will be ready to head to graduate school, or you can find work in many different fields related to English study, including writing, editing, and publishing. Completing English as a pre-law major is also a great choice for many students.