Financial Aid FAQs

  • How do I know if I have completed everything for the Financial Aid Office?

    Log into your Empower Pride Page to view and complete any forms or documents that are required for your financial aid. Click on the “Financial Aid” tab and select, “Financial Aid Missing Documents.” Your financial aid award will not be finalized until ALL required documents are received.

  • How do I complete FAFSA Verification?

    Greensboro College has a partnership with Inceptia to expedite the federal verification process. Verification Gateway (VG) from Inceptia is an online portal to guide students and parents through verification. New Students will receive an estimated financial aid package before complete verification, returning students must complete verification before receiving their financial aid packages.

    If your FAFSA application is selected for verification by the U.S Department of Education, you will receive an email from Greensboro College with a link to the Verification Gateway. We encourage you to begin the verification process within 7 days of receiving this notification to ensure you receive your financial aid in time for payments. Failure to complete the verification process could result in the delay or denial of your financial aid.

    Follow these steps to complete your verification.

    • Access our school’s unique website link:
    • Create your account and choose preferences for text messages and e-signatures.
    • Complete your Task List.
    • Confirm your signature and review your information.
    • Sign your account.

    *If you are a dependent student, your parent also needs to create their own account and complete each of these steps.

    Questions about the verification process? Contact Inceptia, 8 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Central time Monday or 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Central time Tuesday through Saturday at 888-374-8427, or email or

    About Inceptia

    Inceptia, a division of National Student Loan Program (NSLP), is a nonprofit organization committed to offering effective and uncomplicated solutions in financial aid management, default prevention, and financial education. Our mission is to support schools as they launch brilliant futures for students, armed with the knowledge to become financially responsible citizens. Learn more at

  • If I still have a balance, what are my options?

    Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents:

    Your parent may be interested in borrowing from the Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents Program. If your parent is approved, they may borrow the balance needed. If your parent is not approved, you may be entitled to additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds. For additional information, or to apply, visit The parent applying will need to sign in using his or her FSA ID user name and password. The current interest rate is 7.08%, and the federal government will deduct a 4.236% fee at the time of disbursement.

    ECSI Monthly Payment Plan:

    Our Student Accounts Office works with ECSI, a tuition payment plan agency. Please contact Student Accounts at (336) 272-7102, ext. 5205, visit ECSI online at, or call them directly at 1-866-927-1438 for additional information.

    Steps to enroll in the Tuition Payment Plan:

    Select:   Apply for Monthly Tuition Payment Plan (Black Box on screen)

    Select:   Greensboro College (from the list of schools)

    Select:   Enrollment status at the college

    Continue to complete steps 1 – 6 (green tabs at the top of the screen) to complete the application.

    If you need assistance with the payment plan, email

    Private Student Loan:

    A private loan helps students who need additional funds to meet their educational expenses. Many of our students use Citizens One, NC Assist, PNC, Sallie Mae, or Wells Fargo. In most cases, the student will need a creditworthy co-signer. All loan applications are online. Private Loans cannot be greater than the Cost of Attendance minus all other estimated financial aid. All terms and conditions are set by the lender. Please visit Greensboro College’s Financial Aid page for our loan comparison tool called FASTChoice.

  • How do I notify the school when I have received an outside scholarship?

    Send a copy of the scholarship letter to the Financial Aid Office. Upon receipt of the letter, the Financial Aid Office will add the funds to your account as a “Hold” so that the Student Accounts office can view it. Scholarship checks should be mailed directly to the Financial Aid Office.

  • How can I buy books from Greensboro College?

    If you have a credit balance, contact Student Accounts via email at Each email request must have the student name, ID number, and amount of financial aid the student would like added to the E-Campus Book Store account. Once the credit balance is verified by Student Accounts, the funds will be added to the E-Campus website within 24 hours.

    If you are planning to pay for books out-of-pocket, you can log directly into the E-Campus bookstore from your Pride Page.

  • What is the Federal Pell Grant?

    The federal Pell grant is a need-based grant awarded to undergraduate students working on a first bachelor’s degree. Eligibility is determined through a standard formula established by Congress based on the information that you reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have been awarded a Pell grant, you must be enrolled full-time in order to receive the full amount of the grant shown on your award letter.

  • What is the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)?

    The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a need-based grant awarded to undergraduate students who are enrolled in a first bachelor’s degree program and are eligible for a Pell grant. First consideration is given to the recipients of the Federal Pell Grant who demonstrate the most financial need.

  • What is the North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship?

    The North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship (NCNBS) was established by the North Carolina General Assembly to provide need based funding for students attending eligible private institutions. NCNBS funds will be awarded based on the student’s Estimated Family Contribution as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To determine your eligibility for the N.C. Need Based Scholarship, please visit the Residency Determination Service (RDS) website at You must be determined a resident of North Carolina via RDS before we can consider you for any financial aid from the state.

  • What is the Federal Work Study Program?

    Work Study is a federally funded program that is awarded to eligible students, per the results of the FAFSA. It allows students to work to earn money for their educational expenses. Through this program, students have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience, build their resume, learn new skills, and refine some of the skills they already have.

    The Financial Aid Office determines which students are eligible for the Federal Work Study program according to the Department of Education guidelines. Only those students who have applied for Financial Aid, and who meet all Federal guidelines, may be certified for employment. Students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year before they may be considered for the Federal Work Study program.

  • Are there any additional or outside scholarships available to me?
  • What is a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan?

    The Federal Direct subsidized loan is awarded to undergraduate students with financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Interest does not accrue and repayment does not begin until six months after the student is no longer enrolled or drops below half-time enrollment. The interest rate for 2019-2020 is 4.53%. The federal government will deduct a 1.066% fee at time of disbursement.

  • What is a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

    The Federal Direct unsubsidized loan is awarded to undergraduate students without financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Interest accrues on the loan while the student maintains at least half-time enrollment. The interest rate for 2018-2019 is 5.05%, and the federal government will deduct a 1.059% fee at time of disbursement. Repayment begins six months after the student is no longer enrolled or drops below half-time enrollment.

  • What is the difference between a Federal Direct Subsidized loan and a Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan?

    Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

    • The government pays interest while the student is enrolled in school, during a one-time 6 months grace period, and during any deferment periods.
    • The current interest rate is 4.53%.
  • What is a loan origination fee?

    An up-front fee charged by a lender for processing a loan application.

    • The current loan origination fee is 1.059% for the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan.
    • The current loan origination fee is 4.236% for the Federal Parent Direct PLUS loan.
  • How does financial aid for the summer work?

    For Financial Aid purposes, Summer School is considered to be the final term of the academic year. Financial Aid received during the fall and spring terms of the academic year will be considered when Pell Grant and Federal Direct Loan eligibility are determined for the summer term. Undergraduates must be enrolled in 6 hours and graduate students must be enrolled in at least 3 hours (in one or both terms) to be eligible for student and/or parent loans.

    All students who apply for Financial Aid for summer must have filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

We’re here to help

Lindsay Latham '08
Senior Director of Student Financial Services
336-272-7102, ext. 5253

Ryan Mickey
Financial Aid Data Specialist
336-272-7102, ext. 5408

Marilyn Woods '95 & '14
Director of Student Accounts
336-272-7102, ext. 5621