Greensboro College Honors More than Two Dozen Students for Academic Achievement
April 14, 2020 10:10 am
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Greensboro College has granted academic honors to more than two dozen students for their achievements in the classroom.
Normally, the awards and scholarships would be presented at the annual Academic Achievement Awards Convocation. But that event was canceled, as were all other public events on campus, because of the state’s coronavirus stay-at-home earlier.
The awards and scholarships and their winners are:
- Clara Dougherty Brown Art Award: Carissa Dionne Washington, Greensboro, N.C.
- Arnold Van Pelt Biology Award: Raven Alexandra Green, Greensboro, N.C.
- Fred L. and Myrtle R. Proctor Endowed Scholarship Award in Business: Matti Kaitlyn Moore, Bear Creek, N.C.
- Academic Achievement in Business Award: Jordan DeShawn McCray, Statesville, N.C.
- Dean’s Award for Most Outstanding Graduating Student in Business: Jorge Luis Cortez-Becerra, High Point, N.C.
- Harriet Darlene Medina Scholarship Award in Chemistry: Hunter Claire Cashion, Davidson, N.C.
- Zelda C. Pemberton Education Award: Delma Richard Church, Hamptonville, N.C.
- Leroy Lee Smith Memorial Writing Award: Nicholas Carl Novakovich, Kernersville, N.C.
- Mary L. Ginn Award for Excellence in English: Timothy Samuel Crowell, Pinnacle, N.C.
- Marvin L. Skaggs History Award: Gwyneth Frances Navey, Florence, S.C.
- Mayo C. Harlow III Health Sciences Award: Mackenzie Isabella Burns, Mebane, N.C.
- Randy Hunt Exercise and Sport Studies Award: Kara Lynn Wood, Greensboro, N.C.
- Willie Taylor Health and Physical Education Award: Kyle Thomas Fisher, Orange Park, Fla.
- Myrtis Davis Scholarship Award in Mathematics: Samantha Claudine Whipp, Montgomery Village, Md.
- Excellence in Mathematics Award: Cristina Samano-Romo, Burlington, N.C.
- Hunt Family Music Scholarship: Caleb Jeremiah Harper, High Point, N.C.
- Hunt Family Music Scholarship: Urshwan Ray Matthews, High Point, N.C.
- Luella Pugh Knott Music Award: Ashton Jay Albright, Liberty, N.C.
- Luella Pugh Knott Music Award: Hannah Lane Osborne, Pleasant Garden, N.C.
- Jazz Ensemble Award: Isaiah Donovan Butler-Johnson, Winston Salem, N.C.
- Distinguished Psychology Student Award: Kathryn Marie Stevens, Sparta, N.C.
- Thelma Dixon Taylor Religion Scholarship: Tahlia Jamiya Dukes, Greensboro, N.C.
- David Caldwell “Log College” Scholarship in Religion: Blake Alexander Hawkins, Lynchburg, Va.
- Distinguished Sociology Student Award: Decima A. Michael, Greensboro, N.C.
- Isabelle Reedy Powell Sociology Merit Scholarship Award: Tiffany Angelica Hoover, Greensboro, N.C.
- Alpha Chi Award for all-around academic excellence: Kathryn Marie Stevens, Sparta, N.C.
- Collegian Journalism Excellence Award: Keyondric Orlando Buchanan, Lithonia, Ga.
- Collegian Journalism Excellence Award: Josephine Marie Gold, Shelby, N.C.
Greensboro College provides a liberal arts education grounded in the traditions of the United Methodist Church and fosters the intellectual, social, and, spiritual development of all students while supporting their individual needs.
Founded in 1838 and located in downtown Greensboro, the college enrolls about 1,000 students from 29 states and territories, the District of Columbia, and seven foreign countries in its undergraduate liberal-arts program and six master’s degree programs. In addition to rigorous academics and a well-supported Honors program, the school features a 17-sport NCAA Division III athletic program and dozens of service and recreational opportunities. Learn more at greensboro.edu.
Think critically. Act justly. Live faithfully.
Lex Alexander, Director of Communications
815 W. Market St.
Greensboro, NC 27401
336-272-7102, ext. 5398
Categorized in: News
This post was written by lex